Can Vanilla Extract Kill You

While it may seem like something that couldn’t possibly happen, vanilla extract is actually pretty poisonous. The main ingredient in vanilla extract, vanillin, is derived from the bean pods of the Vanilla planifolia plant. Vanillin is a natural substance, but it’s also used as a food additive and flavor enhancer.

In small amounts, vanillin is safe to consume. However, ingesting large amounts of vanillin can be fatal.

Table of Contents

The Legal Ways Minors Drink – Vanilla Extract

Yes, vanilla extract can kill you. Ingesting too much of the concentrated form of vanillin can lead to serious health consequences, including death. Vanillin is the main flavor compound in vanilla extract, and it’s also used as a food additive.

When consumed in large quantities, vanillin can cause organ damage, seizures, and coma. If you consume too much vanilla extract, seek medical help immediately.

What is Vanilla Extract

Vanilla extract is a solution containing the flavor compound vanillin as the primary ingredient. Pure vanilla extract is made by macerating and percolating vanilla beans in a solution of alcohol and water. Double strength vanilla extract contains twice the amount of vanillin, while other variations such as Mexican, Tahitian, Indonesian and Bourbon vanilla contain different proportions or types of vanilloids including vanillin.

Vanilla extract is used to flavor food products such as ice cream, pudding, cake, cookies etc. It can be added to hot beverages such as coffee and tea or cold ones like milk shakes and smoothies. The recommended usage level for flavoring baked goods is 1 teaspoon per cup of flour; for example: if a recipe calls for 2 cups (250 grams) of flour, you would use 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of vanilla extract.

For no-bake recipes like frostings or fillings that don’t require cooking, the general rule is 1 tablespoon (15 ml) per recipe. When it comes to storage, pure vanilla extract does not need to be refrigerated since alcohol acts as a preservative. However, it should be stored in a cool dark place away from heat sources which can cause evaporation.

Vanillin is also susceptible to light degradation so keeping it sealed in a dark bottle will help maintain its potency over time. If your pure vanilla extract has been stored properly, it can last indefinitely!

What are the Risks Associated With Consuming Vanillin

Vanillin is a food additive that is used to provide flavor and aroma in many products. It is also used in some medications and cosmetics. Vanillin is generally considered safe when consumed in small amounts.

However, there are some potential risks associated with its consumption. Vanillin can act as an irritant to the digestive system, particularly when consumed in large amounts. This can lead to stomach pain, diarrhea, and vomiting.

Vanillin can also cause headaches and dizziness in some people. When vanillin is used in medications or cosmetics, it can cause allergic reactions such as skin rashes, itching, and swelling. In severe cases, vanillin can trigger anaphylactic shock, which is a potentially life-threatening reaction.

People with asthma or other respiratory conditions should be cautious when using products containing vanillin, as it can aggravate these conditions. Pregnant women and young children should also avoid consuming vanillin due to the potential for negative effects on health.

How Much Vanillin is Considered Toxic

Most people don’t know that vanillin is actually toxic. Even though it’s found in nature, vanillin can be poisonous if consumed in large quantities. Here’s what you need to know about vanillin toxicity.

Vanillin is a flavor compound that’s found in vanilla beans. It’s also used as a food additive to give foods a vanilla flavor. While vanillin is safe to eat in small amounts, it can be toxic if consumed in large quantities.

The LD50 of vanillin is around 3300 mg/kg body weight. This means that it would take approximately 3300 mg of vanillin per kilogram of body weight to kill 50% of the population. For example, a 70 kg person would need to consume 231,000 mg (231 g) of vanillin to have a 50% chance of dying from it.

While this may seem like a lot, it’s actually not difficult to consume this much vanillin. For example, just 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract contains around 140 mg of vanillin. So, if someone were to drink 2 tablespoons of pure vanilla extract, they would be consuming 280 mg of vanillin – which is close to the LD50 for this compound.

In general, the symptoms of vanillism (vanilla poisoning) include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and cramps, dizziness, headache, and seizures. If you or someone you know has consumed large amounts of vanilla extract or other products containing high levels of vanillin and are experiencing these symptoms, call poison control immediately and seek medical attention right away!

Can Vanillin Be Fatal If Consumed in Large Quantities

No, vanillin is not fatal if consumed in large quantities. However, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.


According to a recent blog post, vanilla extract can actually be poisonous if consumed in large quantities. The active ingredient in vanilla extract, vanillin, is toxic to the liver and can cause death. However, it would take quite a bit of vanilla extract to kill someone – around 4-5 tablespoons – so it’s not something you need to worry about unless you’re drinking it by the cupful!